They’re generally known as “the golden years” for good reason; getting older implants in us information from lessons learned throughout a lifetime, together with the opportunity to relax from the frantic pace of young adulthood and make the time to truly take pleasure in what counts most.
Nevertheless, our older years could be a time full of added stress, for several reasons. Health concerns can increase in our later years. There is, in many cases, a higher possibility of grief from loss of loved ones and close friends as we age, bringing with it a reminder of our own mortality. Economic obstacles can also be an issue.
So, how can you discern the effects of stress in your senior parents, and most importantly, help him or her overcome it? Watch out for these warning signs of senior stress:
- Withdrawing socially
- Lack of interest in formerly loved activities
- A modification in eating and sleeping habits
- Higher irritability, aggravation, or agitation
- Weight gain or loss
Of course, your family member may also share thoughts of being bogged down or stressed by a certain component of life.
The first step to assist a senior loved one better manage the effects of stress is to make an appointment with the physician, to eliminate the possibility of any physical factors for these issues. A doctor might also want to prescribe medication, even if just temporarily, to help the senior feel more relaxed.
Consider these other senior stress-eliminating tips to further improve a loved one’s frame of mind:
- Help someone else. Nothing makes us feel happier than knowing we’re making a positive change in the life of another person in need. Persuade your loved one to seek out a volunteer opportunity associated with a certain interest, such as supporting the homeless, animals at a pet shelter, victims of abuse, etc.
- Get up and get going. Being active is worthwhile for our mind and mood as much as for our physical wellbeing. Go with your loved one to the gymnasium, the local pool, or on a daily walk through the neighborhood.
- Organize an event. Having something enjoyable to look forward to is a superb pick-me-up. Brainstorm ideas of things your loved one has always wanted to do, and come up with a plan to help make at least one of them a real possibility.
- Talk (or write) it out. See if your loved one would consider speaking with a professional counselor to work through stress; if not, journaling can help in putting words to emotions and supplying the chance for self-expression as well as the venting of built-up stress.
- Partner with Inspired Home Care. Our experts at Inspired Home Care, a Barrington caregiver agency serving the surrounding areas, are always on hand to help remedy stress for seniors in a variety of ways – from pleasant companionship to allow the senior the chance for enhanced socialization and engagement in interesting activities, to help with housework and meal planning, errand-running, transportation, and much more.
To learn more about options for aging parents, get in touch with Inspired Home Care at 847-787-7572 to set up an in-home assessment and learn more about how we can help reduce the effects of stress and restore a sense of joy and well-being for your family! We provide trusted elder care in Barrington, IL and the surrounding areas. View our full service area here.