Finding the right care solution for a senior family member is one of the most significant as well as daunting decisions you will face. Ensuring the safety of the senior is paramount, but there are some additional considerations as well, for example, whether the senior’s quality of life and capacity to thrive and continue to be independent will be a priority.
AARP provides an insightful checklist of questions to ask when looking into senior care services, such as:
- Is the agency licensed?
- What services are provided?
- How long before services can begin?
- Are caregivers trained and dependable?
- Is there a process set up for conducting background checks, bonding and insuring staff, supervision?
- What happens if a caregiver doesn’t arrive on time (or at all)?
- Can another caregiver be requested in the event that you don’t click with the one assigned?
- Are there any customer testimonials or reviews you can read?
- Will the senior be given a customized plan of care?
- How many years has the agency been in business?
It’s also crucial to confirm that the caregiver is a hired employee from a respected agency, instead of a contractor referred by a registry service, or an individual hired through a classified ad, because:
- Taxes along with other mandatory federal and state requirements are covered. Hiring a caregiver independently makes YOU the employer, which means you will be responsible for all taxes, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation, etc., and, you’d be liable for medical along with other expenses in the event the caregiver were to become hurt on the job. A professional home care agency assumes the role of employer for its caregivers, alleviating these concerns for a senior and their loved ones.
- Complete vetting and supervision of caregivers enhances safety. Sadly, the chance of exploitation and abuse of seniors is increased when using the services of an independent caregiver, whether financial, physical, or emotional. Respected home care agencies provide supervision along with comprehensive background and reference checks, bonding and insurance, along with other safeguards in order to protect senior loved ones. Not just that, but in case an older adult’s primary caregiver was ill or took a break for vacation, a similarly trained and trusted replacement caregiver would be provided.
- Initial and ongoing training increase caregiver excellence. Agencies that offer significant training for their care staff make certain that skills are always as sharp as they can be, and that any new techniques established in the industry are utilized – meaning a higher level of care over an independent caregiver who may not have the same opportunities for professional development.
At Inspired Home Care, we are pleased to meet all of these criteria and a lot more by delivering top-rated Barrington memory care and home care services. As a proud member of the Briggs Home Care family of agencies, we are dedicated to meeting the diverse needs of our clients – from companionship and light housekeeping assistance to help with chronic and emerging health issues, and everything in between. We take satisfaction in ensuring our team receives continuous caregiver training, so that you can feel secure in knowing our caregivers are top notch and constantly improving their skills, while offering the safe, dependable, and compassionate care required to make life the best it can be.
Email or call us at 847-787-7572 to let us answer questions you have about our Barrington memory care and home care services, or to request a free in-home assessment to improve wellbeing for a senior you love. For a full list of all of the communities we serve, please visit this page on our website.