You’ve just finished talking with Mom on the phone, and now have a sense that something isn’t completely right. Though it was a nice chat, her lapses in memory were concerning. She assured you that she’s absolutely fine – that she is eating very well (despite the fact that she could not remember what she had for dinner), taking her medications, and having no problem staying on top of the household chores. If you’re looking for senior home care solutions to ensure your aging parents are safe and self-sustaining, an excellent first step is to arrange for an in-home consultation from a respected home care provider like Inspired home care, providers of home care and dementia care in Barrington, Illinois and nearby areas. This allows a highly skilled, objective third party professional to speak with the person in the familiarity of home, while assessing several critical areas.
The Senior’s General Wellbeing
Throughout the consultation, the home care expert will learn how the senior is feeling, both physically and emotionally.
- Is she or he lonely or bored?
- Physically active?
- Balanced and steady, or at an increased risk for a fall?
Additionally, cognitive health is considered.
- Is the senior forgetful?
- Are there any concerns with wandering, aggression, agitation, confusion?
- Does she or he seem capable of successfully managing the household?
Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs)
It is very important for a senior living independently to be able to attend to everyday tasks that fall into two categories: ADLs and IADLs.
ADLs include activities such as:
- Bathing/showering and other personal hygiene needs
- Getting dressed
- Using the toilet
- Moving from bed to chair and throughout the house independently
IADLs are less fundamental, but still vital to independent living, and include:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Running errands and shopping
- Taking medications as prescribed
- Making and receiving telephone calls
- Money management/bill paying
The Home Environment
The in-home consultant can likewise assess the senior’s living space for any possible risks and hazards, such as:
- Issues that could lead to a fall: clutter, low-lying furniture, or electric cords in the senior’s walking paths, stairways without proper handrails, no grab bars in the bathroom, loose throw rugs, and much more
- If there are fresh foods available which are not past the expiration date, moldy, etc.
- Whether there are any signs of accidents, such as burn marks on the counters or scorched pots/pans
- Unopened mail piled up
- Dirty dishes stacked on the counters, or any other indicators of problems with maintaining the home to healthy standards
Based on the outcome of the assessment, the home care professional can prepare a personalized care plan that will outline the ways an in-home caregiver cab help overcome any challenges being experienced. Often with just a little support, seniors can continue to live and thrive at home where it’s most comfortable, with enhanced safety to bring families peace of mind, while never sacrificing the senior’s independence and freedom.
Get in touch with Inspired Home Care to set up for a complimentary in-home assessment to learn more about senior home care solutions for an older adult you love today! You can connect with us any time at 847-787-7572 to learn more about our award-winning home and dementia care in Barrington, Illinois and nearby areas.