November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and with more than 130 million Americans diagnosed with the disease, it’s likely you know someone or maybe even are part of this group. Regardless of whether you’re new to caring for someone with diabetes or a seasoned veteran, there’s always something new to learn to better manage the condition.
These guidelines are easy to implement and will make a world of difference in diabetes care.
What Steps Can Be Taken to Improve Life With Diabetes?
- Manage meds. A pill organizer or medication reminder services from an Inspired Home Care caregiver will help ensure meds are taken exactly as prescribed. Remember to stay on top of ordering prescription refills before running too low. Keep a list of all medications being taken, including the dosages and when each is taken. It is important to share this information with all of the person’s specialists and doctors, to prevent any contraindications from new or changed prescriptions.
- Relieve stress. Elevated stress can result in elevated blood sugar levels. When caring for a loved one with diabetes, incorporate numerous calming activities throughout each day: taking a warm bath, reading, participating in enjoyable pastimes and hobbies, listening to favorite music, etc.
- Stay active. Exercising is another key aspect of keeping blood sugar levels regulated. Speak with the doctor for a recommended exercise program, and be sure the individual exercises within an hour or so after eating, so blood sugar levels aren’t too low. If attending a fitness class outside of the home, make sure to bring along water, glucose tablets, and snacks that are high in carbs in the event of an emergency.
- Get a medical ID bracelet. Wearing a bracelet or necklace that indicates the person has diabetes will ensure the right level of attention in the event of an emergency.
- Partner with a professional. Taking care of someone with diabetes is a complex undertaking. A caregiver from Inspired Home Care will help ensure all of an individual’s care needs are met at all times, ensuring you are able to take the breaks from care that you need for your own overall health.
How Can Home Care Help Improve Diabetes Care?
Our care professionals are thoroughly trained and experienced in caring for people who have diabetes, through services such as:
- Assisting with personal care and hygiene
- Providing support with walking and transfers as needed to prevent a fall
- Preparing healthy and balanced, diabetic-friendly meals
- Offering pleasant companionship to brighten each day
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and other errands
- Providing safe transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments, medical tests and procedures, etc.
- Watching for any indications of complications and reporting them immediately
- And so much more
Contact us any time at 847-787-7572 to learn more about our in-home care for someone you love with diabetes or any other health condition. We are here to make life safer, more comfortable, and much more enjoyable, while promoting independence. Our services are available in Gold Coast, Palatine, Algonquin, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to discover if our award-winning in-home care services are available in your community.