We either love them or despise them, but no matter our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there’s something incredibly refreshing about stepping into a whole new year, providing us with a new slate and a chance to make any changes we desire to improve well-being or even accomplish a new goal or dream.
January resolutions for family caregivers tend to be especially important, mainly because they impact not merely the caregivers themselves, but also their senior loved ones. It is essential, nonetheless, to keep resolutions realistic. Resolving, for example, to get an entire eight hours of sleep nightly, while taking care of a loved one who has problems with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, may be setting yourself up for failure.
Try instead to consider one of the following resolutions especially created with family caregivers in mind:
- I will reach out for support and help, and take assistance when offered.
- I give myself permission to say “no” to requests to prevent taking on more than I’m able to manage.
- I can make my personal health (both physical and mental) a top priority, making sure I arrange and keep medical checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not at all selfish, and that by taking proper care of myself, I can take greater care of my senior loved one.
- I will take note of my energy levels, and take steps in order to prevent allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If the simple notion of attaining any of these goals sounds too lofty to even contemplate, we’ve got a solution! Partner with Inspired Home Care for experienced home caregivers in Wilmette and the surrounding areas on a regular basis, allowing yourself much-needed time away from fulfilling the care needs of your loved one, while knowing he or she will receive a number of benefits as well, such as improved socialization through the companionship of a trained, knowledgeable, and compassionate caregiver.
Beginning with a complimentary in-home consultation, we will listen to the requirements and challenges of your loved one, and create an individualized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through many different services such as:
- Help and support with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as buying groceries and picking up prescriptions
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and interesting outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and prep, in accordance with any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, and exercise, as well as other pastimes which are of interest to the senior
- And many more
If you’re looking for trusted and reliable senior care in Wilmette or the surrounding communities, contact the aging care specialists at Inspired Home Care by phoning 847-787-7572 now, and take the initial step when it comes to attaining a new goal in 2020!
From all of us at Inspired Home Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!