Did you ever get up in the morning and realize, as soon as you got out of bed, that it was going to be “one of those days?” Maybe you slept through your alarm, tripped over the dog, and then remembered you were out of coffee. These small nuisances, however, pale in comparison of what more than half of all adults in the United States are facing every day: managing long-standing health conditions.
Whether it’s cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, or any one of a number of other serious and debilitating health issues, simply getting through day-to-day life is often a struggle. And unsurprisingly, these challenges make it hard to keep up an optimistic outlook on life.
Inspired Home Care’s Algonquin home health care team is able to help in both of these areas. We provide hands-on support with all the daily tasks that can become overwhelming, along with emotional support.
Making Activities of Daily Living Simpler to Manage
Think through your own daily routine when you’re at home:
- A morning shower
- Preparing breakfast
- Making the bed
- Sorting and taking care of laundry
- Cleaning the house
- Fixing lunch
- Paying bills
- Running to the grocery store along with other errands
- Organizing a closet
- Planning and making dinner
- Cleaning up again!
- Preparing for bed
Now just imagine trying to accomplish all of those tasks while impacted by the side effects of chemotherapy; or in the midst of cognitive decline; or while pulling around an oxygen tank. An in-home caregiver can help with these and other mundane but necessary tasks, freeing up time and energy for the older adult to relax and take part in enjoyable pastimes.
Lifting a Senior’s Spirits
It is common for individuals with long-standing health conditions to find it difficult to maintain a life of joy and to defend against depression. Our caregivers provide pleasant companionship that lets seniors know they are cared for. Through conversations, exercise programs, engaging in hobbies and interests, and simply being there to listen when life feels daunting, a caregiving companion brings a breath of fresh air into everyday life.
The following suggestions can help someone with chronic health conditions to feel hopeful and positive:
- Find a sense of purpose. Having purpose in life is crucial to our wellbeing. It is a matter of helping a senior discover what she or he is enthusiastic about and pursuing that interest. Get creative in brainstorming ideas to make life more meaningful: serving others, learning something new, creating a video to document his / her family history or life lessons to pass along to the next generation.
- Find reasons to be grateful. A straightforward but effective way to maximize positivity is through journaling. Encourage the senior to start off each day by listing several things he or she is thankful for: the scent of fresh blueberry muffins baking, the beauty of the sunset, a planned dinner date with a friend.
- Find activities outside the home. If at all possible, help the senior enjoy life away from home: a hair or nail appointment, a shopping trip, a visit with loved ones. Even a short walk or time spent on the front porch can be helpful.
Discover More Ways Home Care Can Help
Reach out to Inspired Home Care any time at 847-787-7572 for additional helpful tips for older adults with long-standing health conditions. We would also love to come and meet with you in the comfort of your home to share additional ways that our caregivers can make every day the very best it can be for seniors at home. For additional information about our award-winning Algonquin home health care services, contact us today. For a list of all of the communities where we provide care, please see our Locations Served page.