You have just discovered that Dad needs to have knee replacement surgery. You have heard bits and pieces of what this might involve from friends, but are you truly ready to help him prepare for getting a joint replaced and recover safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people have joint replacement surgery each year. The good news is that although it can be frightening to face, the resulting relief from pain and typically quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Getting Ready for Joint Replacement Surgery
When getting a joint replaced, it can feel daunting to try to absorb all the details the doctor will provide prior to the procedure. The simplest way to be sure you have all of the information needed is by preparing a list of questions you want the physician to answer. Even this step can feel overwhelming, however, but don’t worry – our care team has created a list of commonly asked questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add in any others you have:
- How soon after surgery will my loved one have the ability to shower?
- Is it necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can my loved one recover at home with help?
- When can regular activities resume?
- What results can be expected for someone of my parent’s age and with their given health conditions?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
- Are there any medications that should be stopped or started prior to the procedure?
- How long will the surgery last?
- Are there any modifications that should be made to the home for a safer recovery?
- What exercises can be started now to strengthen muscles?
- What type of anesthesia is usually used, and are there options available?
- How long is the typical hospital stay?
- What type of medical equipment or supplies will be of help?
- Is it useful to practice walking with a cane or walker ahead of the surgery?
- What risks are involved with joint replacement surgery?
- How much pain will be experienced following the surgery, and what forms of pain relief are available?
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make other changes in lifestyle?
Recovering After Joint Replacement Surgery
Implementing a strategy now for a loved one’s recovery will make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At Inspired Home Care, we’re here to help with post-surgical home care services that relieve some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For example, we are able to:
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Assist with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, and other personal care needs to decrease the chance of a fall
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Provide medication reminders so medications are taken exactly as prescribed
- Prepare nutritious meals
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercises and provider transportation to PT appointments
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- And more
Contact us online or at 847-787-7572 to find out more about how we can ease a surgical procedure, before, during, and after, for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Chicago, Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Locations Served page to see if we are available to assist in your area.