Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and various other natural disasters occur suddenly, and even though it is vital for all of us to have an emergency plan ready to go, it is especially vital for aging parents, who may be challenged with mobility or chronic health problems. Because September is National Preparedness Month, it’s the perfect opportunity to take steps to ensure emergency preparedness for the elderly in case of a natural disaster. Following these three steps is an easy starting place.
- Put together an emergency plan. This should consist of assigning a primary person (or multiple people) who will be responsible for checking in on the individual during a natural disaster, and who will then communicate that information to the senior’s family members. Put together a list of contact information for every single person who should be advised, and also make sure everyone has a copy of the list. The plan should likewise explain an evacuation protocol, and who will assist the senior with evacuating the premises if necessary.
- Put together a natural disaster supply kit. The CDC recommends the following items be stored together in an easily-accessible place to be used in case of a crisis:
- Water, nonperishable groceries (including pet food if applicable), and medications to last for at least 3 days
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Manual can opener
- Hand-crank or battery-powered radio
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Change of clothing
- Wet wipes, paper towels, and hand sanitizer
- Copies of important documents in a waterproof container (see below)
- Fire extinguisher
- Assemble important documents. In an urgent situation, the very last thing you will want to do is scramble to find necessary paperwork. Place copies of the following paperwork in a waterproof box or bag:
- Information in relation to medical needs and history, medications taken, healthcare providers, etc. (the CDC has provided this simple template)
- Insurance cards and photo ID
- Will, living will, power of attorney, etc.
- List of any food and/or medication allergies
- Contact information for family members and friends who ought to be informed during a natural disaster
Working with an established home care agency, like Inspired Home Care, the senior care Barrington experts, is a great way to ensure the elderly will be well cared for in the event of a natural disaster or some other emergency. We are prepared and proactive, with a plan in place for providing the care needed for seniors each and every day of the year, rain or shine, keeping loved ones updated of any and all concerns at all times.
Get in contact with our team of in-home care experts for additional tips and resources and to arrange for a no-cost consultation in the familiarity of home. For additional information on how we can help the seniors you love remain healthy, safe, and thriving, call us anytime at 847-787-7572.