Living through more than a year of a worldwide pandemic taught us never to take for granted the small but exceptionally essential things in life: shared laughter, hugging our loved ones, a lunch date in our favorite café. We learned firsthand the variety of benefits of social wellness, how much it should be valued, and just how lost and empty we can feel when it is taken away.
July is Social Wellness Month, and now that vaccinations are eliminating our need to isolate ourselves, it’s an excellent opportunity to make sure that seniors have lots of opportunities for socialization.
Benefits of Social Wellness
Studies have reported that individuals who stay social:
- Live longer
- Respond far better to stress
- Have healthier endocrine and cardiovascular systems
- Have a healthier immunity
- And much more
On the other hand, seniors who live a more secluded and isolated lifestyle are at increased risk for serious health issues – comparable to the consequences connected to obesity, smoking cigarettes, and high blood pressure.
How to Improve Social Wellness in Seniors
If an older adult you love has become accustomed to solitary living and is uncertain the best way to improve socialization, the following tips can help:
- Think of current hobbies, or those the senior might wish to learn more about. Maybe there’s always been a desire to learn to play an instrument, speak French, or plant a vegetable garden. Whatever the interest, investigate local opportunities for a class or group for the senior to join to learn a new skill or share an existing one with others.
- Gain the dual benefit of health and fitness through joining a gym or exercise group. There are a range of exercise classes specifically designed for older adults, allowing for a low-impact workout together with the opportunity to form friendships. Just seek the advice of the physician for approval first.
- Find an organization or cause that your loved one is particularly passionate about, and check to determine what their volunteer needs are. Seniors can find meaning and purpose along with socialization opportunities while helping those in need.
How Inspired Home Care Can Help
An in-home caregiving companion, like those employed by Inspired Home Care, a trusted provider of at home care in Chicago and surrounding areas, is a simple and easy way to enhance senior socialization. Our caregivers are fully trained, experienced, background-checked, and available for as much or as little time as a loved one would like for conversations, fun activities, outings, and much more. We can provide transportation and accompaniment to social activities for seniors, or just visit with the senior in the home on a regular basis.
Contact our aging care experts any time to learn more about our award-winning at home care in Chicago, Illinois nearby communities and how we can help a senior loved one in your life stay social, healthy and well. We offer a free of charge in-home consultation at your convenience, so give us a call today at 847-787-7572.